Sunday, September 2, 2007

Done with TopCoder

I've actually said this before so it's probably not permanent, but I will think twice before competing in TopCoder anymore. I had several bad experiences over the last several components I developed where reviewers were obviously less experienced than myself and even made large flaws in accuracy. I spend 20-30 hours developing a component, they make a mistake because they rushed through it in maybe an hour and even if I correct them on that point, it colors their entire review.

I already understood that TC was all about anal retention. The best design DOES not win, its the design that has the best documentation and the best color coding, etc. Similarly, the best programming does not win in development projects, its the project that has the most comprehensive test cases and documentation. I was ok with that to some point, I understand the value of communication and consistency. Also, when a good reviewer makes some very valid points, I'm the first person to shut up about being wrong. But several of the design reviewers have said some pretty weak things in their reviews that show some serious lack of understanding. And for an arrogant person like me, taking advice from people who obviously shouldn't be giving it, it's too much.

No comments: